WHAT IS FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE?
Functional Medicine addresses the underlying root cause of disease, using a systems-based approach and engaging both the patient and practitioner in a therapeutic partnership. The functional medicine lens does not view a disease label as the actual disease itself. Rather, the disease is a set of symptoms that have surfaced in the form of a pattern of issues that has been labeled as a diagnosable symptomatic disease.
The Institute for Functional Medicine describes symptoms and disease as what is further downstream; away from the actual dysfunction or problem. The real problem lies upstream. Why has this disease manifested in the first place? What has gone wrong within the body to have resulted in this diagnosis? Health practitioners that practice functional medicine work to look as upstream as possible to find the root of chronic disease.
Here at Wild Peak Wellness, we focus on a set of key principles that guide the individual towards optimal health and wellness.
- Approaching each individual with an understanding of biochemical individuality
- Patient-centered care rather than disease centered
- The powerful interconnection of mind, body and spirit towards ultimate healing
- Addressing the state of the gut as a primary form of healing
- Treating the core clinical imbalances:
- Hormonal and neurotransmitter imbalances
- Oxidation-reduction imbalances
- Detoxification and biotransformational imbalances
- Immune and inflammatory imbalances
- Digestive, absorptive, and microbiological imbalances
- Structural imbalances
Curious for more? Watch Dr. Mark Hyman discuss the Functional Medicine model for addressing chronic disease.
It's time to start changing the way we think about our health and how we practice medicine. Join the movement and take back your health! Wild Peak Wellness continually strives to provide quality information to its guests through valid evidence-based peer reviewed literature.